Thursday 2 March 2023

Things to put in your 'Hospital Bag'


I have a small overnight bag packed at all times, just in case I need to go to the hospital suddenly. I have most of these things on this list in there, ready to go... don't blame me - I am an old 'Cub Scout'; "Be Prepared" and all that [grins].


  • A brief list of medical conditions, medical history and current medications, your own personal contact and health providers/doctor's details etc, and Next of Kin contact details (saves a lot of hassle when first admitted in an emergency!)
  • Your Current medications you take regularly
  • Glasses Wallet Keys Phone etc etc (but NO cash or valuables!)
  • Phone AND charger & small earphones (hospitals usually have free Internet Wifi etc)
  • A fresh change of clothes/undies/shoes/socks when leaving
  • Non-Slip Socks
  • Face Mask (re Covid etc)
  • Toiletries - incl. shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, toothpaste/brush, hair brush, hair elastics, mouthwash, deodorant etc (like those small things you get in Hotel bathrooms etc)
  • Plastic bags for dirty clothes etc
  • A small exercise book and plenty of pens - keep track of thoughts, journal, questions for doctors etc.
  • Something to read - I always have an assortment of light paperbacks (humour/silly) to while away the time... let's admit it - most time in the hospital is spent resting and waiting.
  • A sleep mask... I used a folded bandanna for this purpose, to keep the daylight out during day naps.
  • Earplugs - we all know trying to rest/sleep within a routine noisy hospital is never easy... these really help.
  • A pack of playing cards. Solitaire for the win.

  • I would want to take my teddy bear 'Edward' with me, but for fear of him becoming accidentally misplaced, I leave him at home, sitting on my bed. He understands.
  • A colouring book and coloured pencils - a good idea (but I may ask someone to get them a bit later if it's a few days' stay, saving bag space at first).

💥 What else could you add to this simple, basic list?




Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment